We have been harevesting around here for a few weeks now, we are finished our rye, winter wheat, barely, silage and spring wheat, all the canola is cut and some is in the bin already. Harvest of the garden has also happened: peas and beans are in the freezer, radishes and lettuce are done, and tomatoes, carrots zucchini, cucumbers and apples are just getting in full swing, Many years Ben's sister Kristen and her husband Matt join us for a couple weeks (they have 2 little boys Andrew is 2 and Zachary is 2 months). Matt cuts canola or helps with the trucking, and Kristen helps us with meals or gardening. During Harvest we eat communally, usually here at the farm house or in the field and each meal is a feast, a celebration of the time of year and the fresh produce
Desserts are made
Fine Ingredients are used: our beef, homemade yogurt cheese and cucumbers for tatzeki sauce
Fresh bread
and my favourite Veggie Pizza
So often every thing goes off with out a hitch but sometimes...disaster. Last week it was my turn to make supper for the field and I was organised, I had picked all my veggies from the garden (tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, cucs, basil) made pesto with the basil, salad was made and veggies were chopped. I had my pizza dough going, onions were caramelised, cheese grated. It felt like supper had taken me all day but it looked so delicious that the work was worth it, although I was exhausted ( a certain 4month may or may not have something to to with that) we piled everything and everyone into the vehicles, and drove off the field that My father-in-law was combining.
However when I turned at the end of the lane something in the back CRASHED! I pulled over, opened the back of the pilot and was greeted by salad FLYING out of the vehicle. the bin carrying the salad, drinks and sugar bowl (for the coffee drinkers) had spilled all over my freshly baked pizza, there was salad all over the back of the vehicle and sugar all over my veggie pizza, I took a deep breath and right there on the side of the road picked up every piece of salad and threw it as hard as I could into the ditch like a mad women, after there was no more salad I calmly returned to my seat and continued the drive to the field, we heartily ate the sweet pizza and my mother-in-law laughed
`sugar in the veggie pizza is not as bad as the time we spilled oxy-clean in our chicken`
2 comments:
Great post Lisa! That pizza looks delicious! I love the image of you throwing salad into the ditch. Too funny! I've felt that way too. My kids have a habit of pooping in their diapers on my way out the door so my meals are often eaten cold. Safe and Happy Harvest to you and your family!
The pizza WAS delicious! Thanks Ben for eating the piece with the most sugar :)
Post a Comment