This meal technically started at 1pm when I cut in half 1 of the 50 pumpkins from my garden, and roasted it for 1 hour at 350 F. During this time I watched TV with Zane, which is code for had a nap, {yes I do that, often...}. I received 5 cups of puree from my roasted pumpkin, 2 cups for pie this weekend, one cup for supper tonight and 3 cups for dessert.
![]() |
Winter Squash Bars
{adapted from MCC's Simply in Season Cookbook}
Wets:
3 cups pumpkin or winter squash
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup of canola oil
6 eggs
1 1/2 vanilla
Beat in mixing bowl
Drys:
1 1/2 AP flour
1 1/2 whole wheat flour
3 tsp Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
add wets to dry, mix together and spread on a 11x17inc cookie sheet (well greased) sprinkle generously with chocolate chips. Bake in a pre heated oven for 25-30 mins.
I pulled the cake out just after the boys got off the bus and the chaos of after school was in full swing, the kitchen was a mess because I was also making pie dough, but I wasn't worried I still had almost 2 hours until supper and a relatively quick supper to prepare.
Famous last words....
Ben walks in and wonders when would be the best time for me to drive him to the sprayer?
..... Ummm now...
oh and by the way *I* have to bring the beater truck back too {???}
oh yesdrag trail {is that a word?} the the beater back behind the truck
did I mention...I really don't like driving with trailers {I did take out a stop sign last spring}
I did it because one just has to suck it up and do hard things!
I walked in the door at 5:15pm and my kitchen still looked like this:
By 5:38pm I had water boiling for pasta, a sink full of clean dishes, Reid busy at work on his mad minutes, although for him they are more like mad half an hours due to his distracted nature
Time to make supper!
{this recipe is also from MCC's Simple in Season}
First up cut an onion get it sauteing
collect other ingredients
1lbs of pasta (I used rigatoni and forgot to add salt to water, please remember to salt your water!!)
4 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf (missing at my house... add to grocery list)
2 tbsp chopped sage
1 cup of white wine (give or take a few sips for the cook)
add to onion to reduce
1 cup of broth
1 cup pumpkin puree
Left over pork chops {the recipe calls for Italian sausage which is so yummy but left over pork chops are a worthy substitution, if using sausage, cook first then set aside until now}
add and reduce some more
1/2 cream {whipping in this house, but any would do or evaporated milk}
1/2 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper {extra salt if you forgot to salt you pasta}
let simmer for 10mins or so
set the table... remove goldfish crumbs and Lego men first
I added Parmesan cheese to my cooked pasta and then dumped the sauce on top
Stir and Enjoy!
....unless you are my child, then only eat under the threat of no dessert and meticulously pick out the onions...
ljh
3/4 tsp salt
add wets to dry, mix together and spread on a 11x17inc cookie sheet (well greased) sprinkle generously with chocolate chips. Bake in a pre heated oven for 25-30 mins.
I pulled the cake out just after the boys got off the bus and the chaos of after school was in full swing, the kitchen was a mess because I was also making pie dough, but I wasn't worried I still had almost 2 hours until supper and a relatively quick supper to prepare.
Famous last words....
Ben walks in and wonders when would be the best time for me to drive him to the sprayer?
..... Ummm now...
oh and by the way *I* have to bring the beater truck back too {???}
oh yes

did I mention...I really don't like driving with trailers {I did take out a stop sign last spring}
I did it because one just has to suck it up and do hard things!
I walked in the door at 5:15pm and my kitchen still looked like this:
![]() |
| {the picture doesn't capture the flour and batter all over the counters, the spilled pumpkins seeds all over the floor or the huge bunches of herbs I had picked before frost tonight} |

Time to make supper!
{this recipe is also from MCC's Simple in Season}
First up cut an onion get it sauteing
collect other ingredients

1lbs of pasta (I used rigatoni and forgot to add salt to water, please remember to salt your water!!)
4 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf (missing at my house... add to grocery list)
2 tbsp chopped sage
1 cup of white wine (give or take a few sips for the cook)
add to onion to reduce

1 cup of broth
1 cup pumpkin puree
Left over pork chops {the recipe calls for Italian sausage which is so yummy but left over pork chops are a worthy substitution, if using sausage, cook first then set aside until now}
add and reduce some more
1/2 cream {whipping in this house, but any would do or evaporated milk}
1/2 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper {extra salt if you forgot to salt you pasta}

let simmer for 10mins or so
set the table... remove goldfish crumbs and Lego men first

I added Parmesan cheese to my cooked pasta and then dumped the sauce on top

Stir and Enjoy!

....unless you are my child, then only eat under the threat of no dessert and meticulously pick out the onions...

ljh


1 comment:
Bahaha!! Well done oh dear farmer food blogging wife!
Post a Comment