Wednesday, 28 August 2013

a day in the life

I could pick any day, but today seem particularly farm wifey...

8:30am:  call doctors office to see if they can fit Ben in for a quick examination and tetanus shot...
           due to him bodychecking the combine knife last night...
                  chat with receptionist who is a friend and gets him in right away...
                       first thing in the morning is the only way this farmer is going to see a doctor

8:45 clean up breakfast, help my mom start the peach chutney...
             yesterday we had a mouse get into our box of peaches and chewed 1/4 of the box....
                      so we have peaches that needed to be used in a sterile manner...
                             mice like peaches ... who knew?

8:46 think to check mouse traps

8:47 gag

8:48 get boys dressed and out the door. Our neighbours are on holidays so we get to collect the eggs  from their chickens...
                          yeah eggs...
                                  oh wait maybe I'll have to touch a chicken...

8:50 haul 50lbs or so of giant zucchini  from the garden to the vehicle...
                    to pay the chickens for there eggs...
                                   chickens like zucchini... who knew?

9:00 deliver zucchini...... pick up a chicken...
               on the third try...
                  find  6 eggs..Reid yells and scares all the other chicken off the eggs...
                       should have yelled first...
           collect eggs....

9:15 help mom finish peach chutney, start bread dough, make bens lunch

11:00 take Ben his lunch...
             plead with him to get rid of the dead mouse

11:15 build up fake courage to get rid of mouse myself...
                           gag....

11:20  turn on hose to fill kiddie pool for boys

11:45 make lunch...
              french toast for the boys...
                       toasted tomato sandwiches for mom and I



12:15pm remember to turn off hose...

12:30 put Zane for a nap
                ...clean up lunch...
                         successfully beg Ben to take boys on the combine/truck

1:00 make meal-in-a-loaf with bread dough

1:30 think about getting rid of mouse..
                   gag...
                         I'll make pesto instead (Mom is chopping tomatoes, zucchini, onion etc for tomato sauce)

 
2:00 take pesto down to pantry....
           pick up mouse trap...
               gag...
                  over the fence it goes.....
          oh crap! now I'll always have to do it.....

2:05 celebrate mouse victory with coffee and cookie break

3:00 wander around and wonder what to do...
             with my mom here we are on top of things..
                       quite nice actually...

3:03 fold laundry




3:30 Zane gets up from his nap around the time that Dexter gets home from combining ...
                  get them in the kiddie pool



4:15 try to convince Reid that he should come play in the kiddie pool,
                      but nope he wants to keep farming...

4:20 Ben yells as he drive out of the yard
              "I've left the gate open, just watch and make sure the cows don't get out"
                                 ... I think "wouldn't that make a nice ending to my blog"

4:30  restless! I've been relaxing for almost 2 hours....
            think about checking mouse traps..
                  mmmaybe later...

5:45 my mother-in-law brings supper... during harvest we switch and only cook every second day

6:30 outside bath for the boys...
                which is swimming in the kiddie pool...
                                 NAKED

7:45 watch Shaun the Sheep...
                 put 3 boys to bed

8:00 head outside to weed

8:45 help Ben fill the bin.. which consists of standing around and breathing in dust...
             then my moment of glory...
                     shutting off the flow...
                         just in the nick of time...

so there is my day, I haven't checked the mouse traps again but I will tomorrow, I also have more "putting up" veggies from the garden and I am on supper tomorrow (chicken and sour cream peach pie).

Oh and no cows got out...


today...








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed how much you get done in a day. You go girl! I had a day the other week of mustering up courage to deal with the mouse in the trap while Pedro was work.

Lisa Joelle said...

Rose I don't realise how used to living with mice I am until my "city" mom comes out... this mouse was particularly large!

Matt and Kristen said...

sometimes I think of how I would like to describe my day and then don't because it takes too long. way to go...

Post a Comment