Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Rainy Day: part 2 or Things I like about Winnipeg

Our life is run by the weather, today we are experiencing torrential downpours and strong winds (gusting enough to blow our door open).  So I did what any weather weary, trapped mother would do... we built a fort and had a picnic.






Today we nixed a good chunk of our garden plans.  The garden is under water right now and likely won't be workable for 2 weeks or so (that would be 2 weeks of no rain, warm air and some breeze).  Also we are less than 1/3 done seeding and this current rain will set us back even more, bringing us closer and closer to the June 20th seeding deadline (meaning crops won't mature if seeded later).   Legend has it (a rural myth maybe) that whatever the weather is on Good Friday will continue for forty days.  Tomorrow is the end of that forty days, so maybe we are in for a change.  Lets look on the bright side... the sliver lining...  if we don't seed anymore we will have loads of free time this summer to paint our new house, go camping, build a play structure.  We just won't have much cash flow,  but hey... to quote John Lennon " all you need is love..."


OR


Because of the "Big Hockey News" I thought I would share my favorite things about "the city" as us rural Manitobans call it:

1. I have the most wonderful family (the Wrights and the Nikkels) who love having us come visit
Dex and "baby Andrew" who just turned 1 but is taller and nearly heavier than Dex

Addison and Daryn (we were in last weekend for Andrew's 1st birthday and Addison's 5th)

2. An evening on Corydon starting with calamari at Saffrons and ending with a short stroll to Nucci's for Gelato 
3. The Forks (shopping or eating or reliving my teenage years watching the skateboarders)
4. The Bombers, yes I know they suck are not that good right now, but going to a bombers game is so much more fun than Edmonton other CFL games, because it is an old stadium and half the seats are benches and the games are packed so you are all squashed in so close, making it much easier to get into the spirit of the game, my favorite game so far, watching Milt get the touch down record (ps west side sucks!)
5. peanut butter sundae @ BDI (although the one @ Iceberg in Winkler is pretty good too!)
6. I like that winnipegers don't speed (as much as Albertans),  it was hard to get used to at first but I have mellowed and now quite enjoy driving the speed limit (they just run reds)
7. Winnipeg is big enough for U2 but small enough for great house concerts (JP Hoe)
8. every road in Manitoba leads to Winnipeg (really it does!)
9. It has been said that Winnipeg is the hardest city to get someone to move too and the hardest to get someone to move away from,  Why? Who knows, but I suspect it has something to do with the feeling of small town community.
10.  I guess now that the "Jets" are back we may become hockey fans, GO CANUCKS!

2 comments:

Matt and Kristen said...

great picnic! what are you guys eating? Wraps, pickles, toast, pea soup and juice boxes? (weird picnic food I must say)

Thanks for comin' it was indeed a good time despite our female grumpiness :)

Alysa said...

Hello fellow farm wife! My name is Alysa and I also have a blog called "So I Married a Farmer"! Some friends looked up my blog and found yours. Great minds! Anyway, thought I'd say hi. I blog at soimarriedafarmer.blogspot.ca. Come on over and check it out. I think we have a lot in common!

Post a Comment